As I commented on a recent post by Jewish Atheist about homosexuality, I had the idea of collecting in one post some of man's greatest recent discoveries and developments, which strike at the heart of revealed wisdom, and give intellectual underpinning to atheism. I won't go into the classic arguments and proofs (like the existence of evil, etc), but just stick to scientific and sociological developments. OK, here I go. In your comments feel free to add more.
1. The germ theory of infectious disease.
2. The neurochemical basis of mental illness
3. The discovery of fossils and evolution (I know thats a lot in one basket)
4. Cracking the genetic code.
5. The documentary hypothesis
6. The discovery of Ugaritic texts in Syria
7. The granting of equal rights to women
8. The acceptance of the ligitimacy and rights of homosexuals
9. The Big Bang
10. The acceptance of brain death as actual death
As I noted in my comment, 2 additional discoveries are "waiting to happen":
11. Discovering the neurophysiological basis of consciousness and the mind
12. Discovery of life on other planets.